The La Vernia Historical Association was pleasantly surprised recently to receive in the mail a very old book, found and donated to the group by Half Price Books in San Antonio. The book, Minutes of the Session, Rector Chapel, La Vernia Texas 1852-1914, includes entries, such as this from 1853, “The Presbyterian Church at Cibolo was constituted on the 3d Sabbath in June 1852 Revd H. Rogers presiding with the following members to wit, the male members are Claiborne Rector, F. Tiner, T. Montgomery, Wm R. Wiseman and females, Mrs. Elizabeth Wiseman & Mary A. Tiner.”
Another entry, dated November 1853, reads, “The church Session was organized by Revd M. Hendrick presiding when Wm R. and Mrs. Elizabeth Wiseman presented their little son (Samuel Presley) who secured baptism by Revd Hendrick.”
The book is a valuable historical asset as it reflects important events from the earliest years of the community.
Another treasure of La Vernia history was discovered in a trash can by a member of the historical association. The discovery included sales receipts for the Linne and Prinz General Store, which operated on Chihuahua Street in the 1930s. The receipts reveal the names of customers and items purchased from the store, such as material, hats, hardware, and more.
The book and receipts can be viewed at the La Vernia Heritage Museum by appointment; call 210-392-3281 to arrange a visit. The museum is open on the first and third Sundays of the month from noon to 3 p.m. Admission is free.
Visit LaVerniaHistory.com for more information.
Elaine M. Stephens is president of the La Vernia Historical Association.